sábado, 24 de janeiro de 2009

The special ladies


"Even now there is hope left."
Galadriel

I started reading The Lord of the Rings when I was only 11. I had seen a guy reading it during school break and the title of that volume had caught my attention all of a sudden. It was "The Two Towers". I don't know exactly why, neither what made me move towards him and ask him (it's serious, anyone would never believe the little shy Fernando was going to speak to a guy he had never noticed at school before) who was the author of the novel. Maybe the book had casted a spell on me. Amanda does believe it has something to do with the power of the One Ring, created by Sauron, the Dark Lord. By the way, only later I found out the title of the book referred to the story's main antagonist.

Why am I telling this anyway? Well, it was a great adventure to go into Tolkien's fantastic Middle-Earth and it surely had a critical impact on me. I say that because it's impossible not to get touched by the dramatic situation of the Fellowship of the Ring, being chased down everywhere by Mordor's and Isengard's armies, not to mention the wonderful descriptions of the fascinating landscapes the characters visit. But nothing enchanted more than The Lady of Lórien, also known as The Lady of Light, Galadriel. She gives us today the honour of being at the beginning of this posting, as you may have already noticed. I know that's her portrayed version in the LotR film trilogy, but I had no other better image to represent her. The great thing about reading a high fantasy epic novel is that you find so many characters and each of them causes some impact on you. Besides, it's you who can imagine how they look like exactly, the outlines of their physique profiles, the other details that were not mentioned, always helped by the description given by the author, of course. And there's a special room for Galadriel in my imagery.

Among so many male characters and in a moment of deep despair, eight men enter in the beautiful fields of a woody region and come across a pretty, majestic woman, who rescues the energy of the group, which seemed to be lost forever in that very moment of their lives. "Even now there is hope left". Maybe someone who hasn't read any of the books doesn’t understand anything at all. Well, let's say I'm using Tolkien's novel just to explain something I haven't managed to put into words yet. I thought it'd be easier if I used an example as a proof. I'm talking of the talent that some women have in their hearts and mind. I guess some people call it just intuition, or accurate perception, or just sensibility, but it must be a power that is beyond those words. They can hear the cries of your soul when you're feeling down, they can clearly understand the motives of your pain, even though you don't understand it yourself. And more than that. They can make you feel better, with their wise words and their soothing voices.

Yeah, I believe they are the real rulers in the realm of feelings. I've always wondered why they deal much better with them than us men. There must be some kind of inner talent, something natural, something that comes within them. Galadriel was the first woman who made me aware of this. And suddenly I realised there were other fantastic women around me. At first, I must never forget her who has been the most important character in every page of the book of my life. Of course that's my mother. Another remarkable girl is my sister, Simony. Although she may still think I'm his little, foolish boy, I believe I've grown up a bit and become fully aware of her beauty and intelligence. Thank you all for supporting me, loving me, trusting me.

And the third most fundamental girl in my life is surely the other participant of this weblog. You all already know I’m referring to Amanda. She was my first female friend and a unique girl. In fact, I think she reminds me of Galadriel quite much. Maybe because of her elegance, her subtle look, her simple, but powerful graciousness. Enfin… I could tell a lot of other good aspects about Amanda, but that’ll be the subject of a new posting.

For now, all that I want to say is thanks to all these marvelous women I have the privilege to live with. I know every man is surrounded by his own special women. I have said thanks to all those who are the most important to me. Sometimes we think we have known someone who will be special forever, but later we found we were mistaken. In spite of that, I’m totally sure I will never be disappointed at any of the three women I have mentioned above.
And fortunately I could realise just in time I am a very lucky guy. It’s such a great honour to know I can always count on them, my three Galadriel’s. The prettiest, the wisest, the most elegant.

This is a very simple homage, and surely they deserve much more. But isn’t it incredible how a single character from a fantasy novel could make such a big difference in an 11 year-old boy’s mind? It opened up my eyes and made me realise the most important women in my life were there, right under my nose. I hope everyone has already found their own Galadriel’s. These high ladies one cannot live without.

As I already said, I have three Galadriel’s in my life. When will I get to know the fourth?

Um comentário:

Anônimo disse...

i like the lord of the ring,too!^^ best regards!---friend from Korea