sexta-feira, 23 de janeiro de 2009

Et voilà! A great song!

Nature Boy
Eden Ahbez

There was a boy
A very strange, enchanted boy
They say he wandered very far, very far
Over land and sea,
A little shy and sad of eye
But very wise was he.

And then one day,
One magic day he passed my way
While we spoke of many things
Fools and Kings
This he said to me

The greatest thing you'll ever learn
Is just to love and be loved in return.


That's a very beautiful song. I like it beyond words. Actually I fell in love with it since the first time I listened to it. I remember it happened during a wonderful afternoon at Amanda's, in March 2005. Wow, we were only 14! Fernand and I had been invited to go to her house because there was a film she would like to watch with us. Well, there wasn't anything to do, how could we refuse her invitation? Besides, it's great when the three of us are together, it's lots of fun, I tell you! We drink much wine, play chess and other card games, and of course, we watch a movie, "specially selected by me" always says Amanda. We're not so sure about the quality of the movie, but it's all right. The wine is always good!

Lol, okay, okay, I was kidding, Amanda, no offence meant! But I was talking about the movie itself! It was Moulin Rouge. I guess some of you have already heard of it (we have a great friend who is an absolute fan of it). I didn't think I would appreciate it as much as I actually did. The first song was exactly that: Nature Boy. It was fantastic, and even after the movie ended, I asked Amanda to play just the first song again. It's beautiful and truly intense. There is a Brazilian version of it, I believe. The lyrics in Portuguese was composed by Caetano Veloso, if I'm not mistaken. But, with all the respect due to the brilliant Brazilian singer and poet, it doesn't have the same purity and magnificence that I sensed in the original version in English.


Two women dancing at the Moulin Rouge, by Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec

It begins talking about a boy, but maybe he's not a real boy. I used to imagine him as an old man, but with a pure heart, just like a little boy's. And then comes this verse: "A little shy and sad of eye". It's weird, I think it could be a reference to that "old man", and in spite of that sometimes I can see that description in my friend, Fernando, who is only 17. Yeah, maybe the boy of the song could be him, Fernando, the other guy who posts here. Well, maybe you don't know him yet. I've been friends with him for 11 years, though, and that allows me to say I do know a piece of his personality. He's a nice guy, but shy and sad of eye. "But very wise was he". Man, that is a brilliant confirmation of everything I've been saying all along.

Okay, nobody is understanding anything else and I should just shut up and choose another subject. But now that I'm writing about that song, things look so clear. I mean, it does seem like the song is talking about someone who could be very similar to my best friend. "And then one day, one magic day he passed my way". Yeah, we could even say our 11 year-old friendship would be metaphorically compared to that "one day, one magic day". Lol, would someone please wake me up? Maybe I'm only rambling away and I haven't noticed it yet. But this is my own interpration. I will talk about it with Amanda later. I'm sure she'll agree with me. I know I'm absolutely right.

And at last, there's the great revelation of the song. And an eternal lesson for life. The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return. Nothing could have been as powerful as those two verses. Thanks, Amanda, if I hadn't been invited by you to watch that film, I would never have felt this very energy that comes intensely from each verse of this song.

I know I wrote a lot about love in my last posting, but it is surely something I wouldn't stand living without. And no feeling can ever be compared to true love. That very love you receive sincerely from your parents and friends. Great friends like Amanda and Fernando (wow, I'm such a suck-up, aren't I? LOL). And of course, my sweet Juliana... err, okay, folks, that's my girlfriend's name. BUT... I'm afraid to say I'm a little shy too and I won't talk about my love affairs here. Hm... no, no, Juliana is not only a love affair, it's the greatest love story I've ever lived to date. Okay, enough!

I promise I will talk about another thing next time. Somehow I feel like no one has been reading this, but if you ARE reading this (it means you're a very patient person, blessed you), please write a comment. You just need to click right below, where it says "comentários". Thanks!

Oh, let me make a last observation: although I have the strong feeling no one has been reading what we write here, it is curiously nice and pleasant to write whatever goes on my mind. Maybe this is what we call freedom. But hey, how could I be so insensitive? I know I have at least 3 readers. Thanks for your patience! =D

Bis bald, meine Freunde!

Nenhum comentário: